Friday, August 21, 2009

Breast is Best - we get it

OK I'm going straight to the tired old conversation of breastfeeding (don't worry this blog is not going to be filled with the word "breast" I promise) ...I just have a little rant I wanted to get out of the way...the pressure to breastfeed. I think we can safely say that we all get that breastfeeding is a good thing. People who do not breastfeed I am equally sure are not bottle feeding because they adore spending all that money and want to give their child nothing but man-made food. However any mother who dares to get out a bottle now in public or admit to giving their child formula to their health nurse does so at their own peril. Nurses and other mothers will openly tusk, shake heads, forge out the leaflets and embark on lecture number 101 the "benefits of breastfeeding". I have so much empathy for new mums and would just love for there to be a voice who says whatever you do is best for you. Now was that so hard. Why are we all so judgemental of how people choose to bring up their children these days and who makes us experts on other people's choices? The only explanation I can think of for us breastfeeding mums to be so judgemental is because it is pretty fricking hard and most of us are or were very tired and bitter! Remember though you are not actually allowed to tell anyone how demanding it can be, because that might deter people from the breastfeeding ambush we seem to be on these days. My experience was it is pretty exhausting, babies feed A LOT, they do sleep less and whoever said that you lose weight quicker hasn't met my metabolism. I wouldn't change what I did and I would absolutely do it again, but it would have helped me I think to be aware of some of the realities than just hearing the "breast is best" tag line when you are stuggling with the nightly wakes (Dr Sears wife must be a complete angel!!). If you are thinking of breastfeeding - you may or may not get the hang of it, it will hurt for a while at the beginning, it saves you a fortune and is handy as hell, but you will be woken up lots during the night - you must, must sleep when you can and you get over the boobs out in public thing very quickly and no-one seemed to bat an eye. So peeps out there in institutions and on the street please, please stop the cheer in new mums faces of "breast is best" we get it!! No I don't want a public feeding calendar! Have to go nap time is over.

1 comment:

  1. huh I thought I commented on this one but apparently there is a secret magic word I didn't type in at the bottom so my comment was whisked off into cyberspace. guess you have to have a phd to comment here!

    ReplyDelete